United States Coast Guard Maritime Security
Due to rising security threats, manufacturing facilities located on waterways regulated by the United States Coast Guard are subject to increased physical protection as part of the framework of critical infrastructure and must meet strict security regulations established by the U.S. Coast Guard and Department of Homeland Security. The 33 CFR 106 requirements were developed under the authority of the Maritime Transportation Security Act (MTSA), which among other things, requires the development of security plans designed to deter, to the maximum extent practicable, Transportation Security Incidents (TSIs) resulting in a significant loss of life, environmental damage, transportation system disruption, or economic disruption in a particular area.
According to the U.S. government MTSA regulations, any facility subject to 33 CFR Part 106 is required to have a U.S. Coast Guard approved Facility Security Plan (FSP). Failure to have fully implemented the approved FSP is a violation of the MTSA regulations and can result in a civil penalty or in extreme cases can in a facility being shut down until an approved FSP is in place.
Increasingly, wireless security components can play a valuable part in securing large manufacturing facilities. Video monitoring and analysis systems, unified communications, motion, proximity, and condition sensors, remote control of access gates and many other applications can now be reliably deployed using Apprion ION wireless systems.
Wireless and MARSEC
Wireless technologies allow you to deploy applications that could never be deployed using cables. In addition, the US Department of Energy has studied the role of wireless technology in securing industrial facilities and has found that a wireless infrastructure can be deployed at 10-20% of the cost of wired systems. More importantly, these wireless systems can installed in less than 10% of the time of wired systems – with only about 5-10% of the operational impact on the organization.
Your Wireless Is Always On with Apprion
If you are looking to address MARSEC concerns in a thoughtful, cost-effective and timely manner and one that delivers added value to your facility, consider wireless technologies. Apprion is the leader in industrial wireless. We are here to help you design, deploy and manage a wireless application network that works best to address all of your compliance and operational application needs. A few examples of ION Wireless Applications that address MARSEC include:
- ION Wireless Communications Application – Provides plant-wide notification and voice communication for effective response to an emergency and efficient day-to-day operational communications.
- ION Wireless Video Monitoring – Backhaul video from cameras to monitor all areas of your facility and perimeter for instant visibility and notification in the event of a security breach.
- ION Wireless Security Application – Provides wireless intrusion detection, authentication, access control, and security scans to safely monitor those hazardous, remote locations and satisfy regulatory mandate requirements.
- ION Asset Tracking Application – Enables plant managers and personnel to easily locate critical plant assets and view asset status at any time.
- ION Condition Monitoring – Monitor remote motion, proximity, or other condition sensors that can provide early detection of potential security risks.